Monday 28 June 2010

Driving Round The Bend

I am the first to loathe lazy 'national stereotyping', but I had an interesting experience which perhaps shed some light on the amount of religious iconography present in most public transport.

Going to meet a volunteer early one morning, I was enjoying a near-traffic-free taxi ride to the airport. The rising sun bathed buildings in a rosy light and traffic lights flashed orange to allow drivers the responsibility of crossing junctions. A collection of crosses swung from the rearview mirror as we sped over the rough roads.

At one crossroads two cars were locked together having found each other, glass scattered across the deserted street. Perhaps one of the drivers was drunk, we speculated as we edged past.

We accelerated away from the accident. As we went over the next crossroads I glanced at the speedo. It was touching 100km/h. I fixed my gaze ahead and decided to concentrate on the icons.

No comments:

Post a Comment